We Interview #StoneRoses legend Steve ‘Adj’ Atherton (former stone roses tour manager) #retweet
We’ve covered Steve Adj alot in the past: http://www.thestoneroses.co/great-john-robb-interview-steve-adj-stone-roses-tour-manager/ and have been privileged to have met him personally a few times.
We’ve had glimpses of his forth coming book ( Access All Areas – Tales From The Road..Stories Never Told ) on YouTube over the last few years and each story has been hilarious and well-remembered.
Steve has been working on his book (out in 2 months time on 12th May digitally) for sometime and we we’re lucky enough to be able to interview him about his new tome:
1. We gotta ask this: what’s your favourite stone roses song and why?
She Bangs The Drums, just knew it was gonna be massive first time I heard it.
2. It’s not everyday you get to be part of something special which at the time that meant alot to lots of people and was heading to be bigger than the beatles. What do you think was the magic that took it to that stage? Can you put your finger on it?
Passion. The bands drive to succeed despite all obstacles.
3. I remember meeting you when you were project managing john’s art exhibitions. Do you have any comedy moments to share from that era?
Yeah, chopping out the windows at the ICA, The Mall, London. To get Johns Bullfit 16foot canvas in the building. Then watching the mouths of the curators drop. Its one of my favourite stories in the book.
4. I don’t want to take anything away from the book and suspect there will be quite a few comedy stories in there. Would you be kind enough to share with us a short story, that perhaps didn’t make the book. Or one of your favourite moments from the book?
80% of the stories are funny, its been a funny journey. The Wellercopter story from my time on the road with The Coral, is a belter. It’ll be in the book.
5. Did you find it hard to remember everything looking back?
No, I’ve got a rolodex memory where funs concerned.
6. What’s next for you after the book?
Acting, theatre, and The Big Brother House…….. Haha, no i’ve only got nine toes. I’m 60, 12th May 2017, which is also the online release date of the book, more to follow about that nearer the date.
7. Do you think any future bands could achieve what the roses did?
I think its hard for bands these days, everybody knows everything immediately, they have no time to grow and evolve. The mystery can be taken out of it.
8. Any tips for young bands?
Passion, Dont Give Up.
9. What got you into being a tour manager?
My driving licence.
10. What would you like to see the Roses do next?
Wembley on the 17th June 2017, after I’ve gobbed off on “The One Love” boat party on The Thames.
11. If you could and you had the power too, would you change anything about the roses?
The management first time round.
12. What’s the best way to buy the book? Amazon, I-Books?
The only way will be online.
13. What’s your fondest memory of the early roses gigs?
Pitch ‘n’ toss on the POOP deck.
14. What’s on your i-pod at the moment?
Carnival Club, what’s an i-pod ?
15. Just how good was Spike Island?
When i got my breathe back from blowing up the Globe, I loved the Pollack sea of the crowd. It’s forever in my mind.
16. What are your top 3 Roses gigs?
Northampton Road members club. First Glasgow Green gig. Saturday night at Heaton Park.
17. Have you caught up with the roses recently. We hear they have another 3 new songs. What’s the news on the vine?
Loose lips, sink ships.
18. What’s your fave item of Roses memorabilia?
The Atlas of the World, the band gave me 25 years ago. then said pick where you wanna go.
19. Is there anything else you want to add?
OTHERS WILL TALK ABOUT THE TUNES THEY HEARD AROUND THE TIME OF THE FIRST STONE ROSES ALBUM AND WHAT THE SONGS MEANT TO THEM AND HOW THEY RELATE TO THEIR LIVES .
But I remember ….
THE HASH THE WEED THE NEED FOR SPEED
GINGER, EVENS AND LINSEY READE
PAINT TINS THROWN
KIDS BORN NOW GROWN
WAREHOUSE FIGHTS AND TWO DAY NIGHTS
SOME WILL TALK OF THE LANDMARK SHOWS
BUT ITS THE LITTLE THINGS THAT REMAIN PREDOMINANT WITH ME
SAWMILLS STARS AND RENI’S CAR
A MUSHROOM BREW FOR A WIDE EYED CREW
THE SONG FOR THE QUEEN AT GLASGOW GREEN
OF WHERE IVE BEEN AND ALL IVE SEEN
OF WEARING FLARES AND HURLING CHAIRS
AND BOUNCING CROWDS AT PRESTON CLOUDS
THEY SAY YOU ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT FIRST LOVE AND FOR ME THIS IS TRUE
I THANK THE BAND FOR THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE FIRST PART OF MY MUSIC RELATED LIFE
PLEASE COME WITH ME THE TRIP IS FREE
LET ME RELAY TO YOU THE RISE OF THE STONE ROSES
YOU CANT TELL ME ANYTHING
FOR I WAS A GARAGE FLOWER
KEEP THE FAITH
TA ADJ X